Protecting the Rights of the Wrongfully Injured
Pedestrians are incredibly exposed and vulnerable, so it is crucial for drivers to maintain awareness of their surroundings and exercise caution. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 5,000 pedestrians die in automobile-related accidents every year, while another 76,000 suffer injuries, many of which are incredibly severe. At Cantor Injury Law, LLC in St. Louis, our pedestrian accident attorneys will fight on your behalf to hold the responsible party liable for your injuries.
Get started on your pedestrian accident case and call Cantor Injury Law, LLC in St. Louis at (314) 485-4005 to schedule a free case review with a trusted member of our team.
Duty of Care
Both drivers and pedestrians must obey the rules of the road and exercise reasonable care. Although some cases might seem straightforward, courts examine a variety of factors to determine negligence in a pedestrian accident case.
Drivers are expected to exercise reasonable care when on the road. Below are some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents caused by drivers:
- The driver was speeding
- The driver failed to use a turn signal
- The driver did not yield the right of way to pedestrians at a crosswalk
- The driver was not driving safely for weather conditions
- The driver was intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
Additionally, drivers owe a special duty of care to children since they are less visible, can behave in unpredictable ways, and might not understand the rules of the road.
That said, most pedestrians are also expected to exercise reasonable care. Below are some of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents caused by pedestrian negligence:
- The pedestrian ignored the “no walking” signal at an intersection
- The pedestrian ran out in front of a vehicle
- The pedestrian did not walk in a designated crosswalk
- The pedestrian walked into traffic
Injuries Commonly Sustained in Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians are generally unprotected and, as a result, can potentially sustain severe, debilitating injuries.
These are some of the most common injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents:
- Spinal cord injuries: A spinal cord injury is often life-changing and can result in either partial or total paralysis, including loss of sensation, bowel and bladder issues, and sexual dysfunction.
- Traumatic brain injuries: Even in minor pedestrian accidents, simply falling onto the pavement can result in a serious brain injury. All brain injuries require immediate medical attention.
- Bone fractures: Broken bones and fractures are also common in pedestrian accidents and can disrupt a person’s life for months.
- Internal injuries: Internal bleeding is a serious injury that can potentially be life-threatening.
- Wrongful death: Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for the injuries sustained in a pedestrian to be so severe that they ultimately result in death.
Set Up a Free Case Review with a Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today!
At Cantor Injury Law, LLC, our pedestrian accident attorneys have the experience and compassion to guide you through your case and ensure you obtain the compensation you need to recover from your injuries. Our team has won numerous cases and collected millions of dollars on behalf of our clients, so can feel confident in choosing our law firm to represent you. You already have enough to deal with, so put your trust in a dedicated team that will fight for you.
We believe you should take this time to focus on recovering from your injuries, which is why we will not recover any legal fees until we win your case.